You can ensure your success as a Sandia intern by following these tips:
- Discuss expectations and milestones with your manager or mentor. Check in at least once a week to make sure you’re progressing as planned and getting help with any questions or concerns.
- Don’t hesitate to discuss any issues or questions with your mentor or manager, who is your best guide for navigating through Sandia’s policies and getting the most out of your internship.
- Participate in the intern professional development and social activities planned, and do informal networking to understand more about the expertise and opportunities at Sandia.
Read more at Intern Central (requires access to Sandia’s internal web).
Your internship is your opportunity to network and gain direct experience by working with experts.
We encourage you to take advantage of all the professional development and networking activities planned for interns, such as presentations, tours, and lunchtime social events.
You can also network informally, and here are a few tips for doing so:
- Ask your mentor or manager for contacts with expertise in your area of interest. Request short information meetings with these people. Come prepared with questions that address your topics of interest.
- Check the intern events page for your location (NM or CA), and make plans to participate in activities that interest you. Be sure to register by the deadlines, and always obtain your manager’s approval to attend activities held during work hours.
- Join a leadership or employee resource group at Sandia.
- Create or participate in after hours or weekend intern social activities when possible.
- Join the Sandia Students Facebook Group to connect with other Sandia interns.