What you need to know
You can count on several Sandia programs that are specifically designed to help support your growing family – whether you’re expecting your first baby, bringing home a newborn or newly adopted child, or returning to work after adding to the family. We’ve also added new family care and support resources provided through Bright Horizons and Wellthy to help with your family’s childcare and eldercare needs.
Expectant Parent Program
Sandia’s expectant parent program (EPP) helps you prepare for your new addition to the family. As soon as you can, connect with the program to take advantage of its many resources and tools. The program offers support for:
- Making sure your workspace is safe and configured for your pregnancy
- Attending expectant parent benefits meetings, offered twice a month
- Engaging with a medical case manager (MCM) to help you navigate medical care/resources (Note: Working with an onsite MCM is strongly recommended if you are pregnant)
- Connecting with expectant parent online communities within Sandia
- Applying for expectant mother parking passes for your last trimester
- Reserving nursing mothers’ rooms
Get rewarded for joining a Health Action Plan
If you or your spouse is pregnant, you can earn $50 toward your health savings account (HSA) or health reimbursement account (HRA) by participating in a maternity wellness program sponsored by your Sandia medical plan coverage. For more details, check out how to join a Health Action Plan.
Adoption Assistance Program
If you are planning to adopt a child under age 18, Sandia’s adoption assistance program can reimburse you for related expenses, such as legal, court, adoption agency, and other necessary costs (such as temporary childcare charges prior to adoption). Medical fees are not eligible for reimbursement.
Bonding time with your new addition
Sandia’s Paid Family Leave works with FMLA to provide you with paid time off to bond with your new baby, adopted child, or foster child.
Life and Family Care Services
If you’re a caregiver, you’re likely carrying a lot on your shoulders. To help ease that stress, Sandia offers several benefits to support you along your caregiving journey. Non-represented employees have access to services that help to find:
- Short-term and long-term childcare support before, during, and after work (including full-time or live-in options), academic support, and recommendations for virtual activities and local programs
- Short-term and long-term eldercare assistance, including finding in-home care or a care facility, setting up home modifications, meal delivery, transportation, health advocacy, and socialization programs
- Back-up care available 24/7/365 to help you find childcare or eldercare when primary care unexpectedly falls through
Wellthy also helps with:
- Support for special needs
- Academic support
- Recommendations for virtual activities and local programs
- Assisting with school decisions and transitions of care
- Managing and sourcing aides and therapists
- Assisting with school decisions and transitions of care
- Navigating access to external fertility and adoption resources
Getting connected to available resources
Contact Bright Horizons when you need urgent or back-up care for your child, aging parent, sibling, or spouse. You can count on Bright Horizons back-up care when your regular caregiver is away or you just need an extra hand to juggle work and family. With your Bright Horizons benefit, you have access to:
- Back-up childcare in high-quality centers or your own home
- In-home back-up care for adult and elder loved ones, even if they live in another state
- Easy booking online or through the Bright Horizons app, when you need it, and up to 60 days in advance
Eligible Sandians can use this service up to five days per year. The following copays apply:
- $12 per hour for in-home care (4-hour minimum)
- $30 per day at a Bright Horizons center (per child, up to a maximum copay of $50 per family)
Connect with Bright Horizons for urgent or backup childcare or eldercare support:
- Phone: 877-242-2737 (available 24/7/365)
- Online: clients.brighthorizons.com/sandia
- App: Search for “Back-Up Care” on the App Store or Google Play
Contact a Wellthy Care Coordinator for long-term childcare or eldercare support:
- Phone: 877-588-3917
- Online: wellthy.com/sandia
Find details and how to access services here.
401(k) Distribution Options for Families
Effective Jan. 1, NTESS is adding a new distribution option that allows parents to withdraw money from their retirement accounts, penalty free, to pay expenses related to the birth or adoption of a child within the first year.
- You’re allowed to take a qualified birth or adoption distribution of up to $5,000 from your 401(k) for each child.
- The 10% early withdrawal penalty will not apply, and although it’s not required, you can repay your withdrawal in the future.
To learn more, contact Fidelity at 800-240-4015.
Through Sandia Extras, you receive a 10% discount for children ages 2–12 at Learning Care Group schools, including La Petite Academy, Childtime, the Children’s Courtyard, Tutor Time, and Creative Kids.
Sandia New Mexico employees also receive a 10% discount off day care for children ages 0–2 at La Petite Academy located near Kirtland Air Force Base.
Nursing Mother’s Rooms
Sandia’s nursing mother’s rooms provide a safe space for breastfeeding mothers to pump their breast milk while at work.
Both New Mexico and California have rooms designated for nursing mothers. We recognize that these locations are not convenient for everyone, and we continue to find and set-up additional spaces, including Energy Hubs, to support breastfeeding.
See a list of nursing mother’s rooms and contacts for reserving your space.
Contacts and Resources
Corestream (Sandia Extras)
Adding to the Family?
From pregnancy, to newborn days at home, to returning to work, Sandia’s Expectant Parent Program supports you through the baby steps of the parenting journey.
Questions about having a healthy pregnancy and delivery?
Meet with your medical insurance carrier’s onsite customer advocate to learn about your healthcare benefits coverage for prenatal care and delivery, supplies such as breast pumps, lactation consultation, and more.